• International Workplace
  • 21 December 2016

Christmas Safety Tips #6

Driving for work

If you ask your employees to use a company car or their own for work purposes, you must check they are fully insured and they have the correct licence to drive the relevant vehicle and the vehicle has an MOT if more than 3 years old.

When employees use their own car or motor bike for work, ask to see the insurance certificate. Firstly for anyone driving to a permanent place of work they must have more than just “Social, Domestic and Pleasure” in need to include “Commute”. For those going to meetings and various different work locations, they need the “Business” category and usually be named, and for those transporting people and products they require “Commercial” category insurance.

With regard to checking licences recent changes have been made to the driving licence administration. The pink plastic card for the UK remains the same but the green paper counterpart is now obsolete. Using the website you can now us a service called “Check a driving licence”. You can use this service to check someone’s driving licence information, e.g. the vehicles they can drive or any penalty points or disqualifications. Employers need: the last 8 characters of their driving licence number and a check code from the driver, this is down to the employee to obtain this number for you, it is basically their consent.

Drivers can also check their own licence and print off a page and present this to you, which is valid for less than a month to show the same. Drivers need their driving licence number and National Insurance number to access the system. Employers be warned it is a criminal offence to obtain someone else’s personal information without their permission from this service.