Safeguarding for Schools and Colleges
Examines what safeguarding is and how the law applies to the educational sector and the skills required to provide a confident safeguarding framework.
Enquire now for pricing information.
Safeguarding for schools and colleges is an introductory level two hour eLearning course designed to introduce the principles and practice of safeguarding for people who work occasionally or often with children (aged 5-18) and vulnerable adults. Covering the Childrens Act 2004, the difference in laws protecting vulnerable adults and protecting children and safeguarding guidance in the education sector. Safeguarding children and vulnerable adults can provide challenging moral and legal responsibilities for individuals and organisations.
Unit 1: How safe are our children?
- Understanding the scale of abuse and neglect among children and vulnerable adults
- What is safeguarding and why it’s important
Unit 2: Key concepts in safeguarding
- The key definitions involved in safeguarding
- What is meant by ‘children’ and ‘vulnerable adults’
- The difference between safeguarding and child protection
- The concept of abuse, and different types of abuse
- The concept of neglect
- The concept of radicalisation
- How in complex cases more than one form of abuse may be present
Unit 3: Safeguarding policy, procedure and practice
- The laws of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
- The Children Act 2004
- The difference in laws protecting vulnerable adults and protecting children
- The role of the Local Safeguarding Children Board (LSCB)
- The role of the Designated Person for Safeguarding
- The role of governors and trustees
- Specific laws that apply to female genital mutilation (FGM) and radicalisation
- Safeguarding guidance in the education sector
- Times and places where safeguarding duties apply
Unit 4: Recognising abuse and neglect
- Physical abuse and factors involved
- Emotional abuse and factors involved
- Sexual abuse and factors involved
- Child grooming, and how it leads to sexual abuse
- Child sexual exploitation
- Bullying, cyber-bullying and online abuse
- Signs of neglect and factors involved
- Factors that make children and vulnerable adults susceptible to radicalisation
Unit 5: Acting on suspicion or disclosure of abuse
- How to follow up on suspicion of abuse
- Asking questions and not leading the conversation
- Avoiding making promises you cannot keep
- Logging a concern of abuse
- Dealing with a disclosure of abuse
- Making a record of the disclosure
- The Designated Safeguarding Lead and how they can help you
Unit 6: End of course assessment
- 20 question multiple-choice online assessment
This online course is designed for people working in the education sector and assumes no previous knowledge of safeguarding or its requirements under UK law. Although this course applies to the United Kingdom, the best practice principles contained can provide guidance for duty of care in international markets.
- Instant access
- 30-40 mins study time
- Study when you like, where you like, through our online International Workplace Academy
For smooth eLearning delivery with real-time tracking and powerful reporting, you can run this course on SELMA, our cloud-based learning platform, for an unlimited number of learners.
If you already have your own learning management system (LMS), this course is SCORM 1.2 conformant so you can plug and play this and all our other eLearning course into your existing system with no problems.
Book online now, or to arrange a demonstration, call us on +44 (0)333 210 1995 or email our course advisors.
Internet Explorer 9 and above, Chrome, Safari.
Content is optimised for desktop PCs, laptops and iPads (landscape orientation).
An IOSH approved course to help premises managers, occupiers and contractors comply with their duties under the Control of Asbestos Regulations (CAR) 2012.
£25.00 + VAT
CIPD Level 3 Diploma in HR Practice - Fast Track
Whether you are at the start of your career or want to gain a professional qualification in order to further your career, this course will give you the knowledge, practical skills and confidence to...
£2,345.00 + VAT
Importance of collecting, using and saving personal and sensitive data appropriately to protect individuals’ rights and uphold an organisation’s reputation.
£25.00 + VAT
IEMA Leading with Environmental Sustainability - In Company
This senior level course provides a strategic and operational overview of environmental sustainability to top level management.
IEMA Managing with Environmental Sustainability - In Company
Provides a strategic and operational overview of environmental sustainability as it affects their specific industry and work area.