• International Workplace
  • 24 March 2016

Fire Sprinkler Systems – NEW 3rd party inspection rules

As of January 2016, BS EN 12845: 2015 and the Loss Prevention Council Rules states that is a legal requirement for owners / operators to ensure that their sprinkler systems are audited for compliance by an independent third party on an annual basis. The inspection should cover the whole system including water supply, operation and hazard classification. This means the 3rd party accreditation cannot be carried out by the, owner, occupier, installer or service maintenance provider. Inspections undertaken by insurers for their commercial and underwriting purposes cannot be assumed to fulfil the intent of this requirement.

Sprinkler systems where installed and covering the fire area, have about a 94% success rate to contain or extinguish a fire, giving them an impressive proven track record in saving lives and reduction in property loss. The remaining 6% where sprinklers don’t perform as expected is predominately down to faults or water supply problems.

Those that are responsible fire safety management issues need to consider how the new rules will impact compliance under The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order (RRO) 2005 - Article 17 (Maintenance) to ensure they have a suitable system, maintained in efficient working with good record keeping.

International Workplace are health and safety experts who provide consultancy and courses to help you comply with the RRO.  This includes our NEBOSH accredited fire modulefire risk assessment training, fire warden training and our new introductory IOSH Approved eLearning course fire safety.  For more information on any of these courses call us on +44 (0)871 777 8881.