Christmas Safety Tips #7
After 12 months packed away in the loft, Christmas lights can easily become electrically unsafe.
To help prevent the most common electrical problems with Christmas lights, and to enjoy a safe and happy Christmas period, you should:
- check your Christmas lights are not damaged or broken before use and look out for loose wires
- use only replacement bulbs of the same type and rating as those originally supplied with the lights
- ensure all outdoor lights are connected via an RCD protected socket
- ensure plugs and transformers are plugged in indoors, even if the lighting is suitable for outdoor use
- switch your lights off and unplug them before you go to bed or go out
- keep lights away from flammable decorations and materials that can burn easily.
Remember, never attempt to repair old or faulty lights, instead consider replacing old sets of lights with new LED sets