IOSH Managing Safely
About IOSH Managing Safely
The IOSH Managing Safely course is the world’s best-known health and safety certificate, designed for managers and supervisors in any sector or organisation anywhere in the world.
This IOSH course explores the basic principles of health and safety in the workplace, giving you a practical insight into the most common workplace risks and hazards, understanding how to assess those risks and how to manage them. The course allows individuals to become fully aware of their responsibilities regarding health and safety in the workplace.
Our course is unique - you will find a practical course full of step-by-step guidance, and sharp business focus. Its innovative award-winning format, based on over 15 years of experience in providing IOSH courses to a variety of different industries, will engage and inspire you and your staff to increase health safety awareness in your company, to help create a health and safety conscious culture.
Study IOSH Managing Safely
Course delivery options
We provide three different delivery options for our IOSH Managing Safely course eLearning, virtual classroom and face-to-face classroom.
For all delivery options you will have access to our course administrators, tutors and technical support teams for the duration of your course, as well as access to FAQs and the opportunity to interact with fellow learners via our learning community.
Our IOSH Managing Safely eLearning course is the perfect choice for anyone who wants to fit their study around their busy schedule. Our eLearning platform is an engaging way to learn, as you will have access to a variety of eLearning materials, including videos, case studies and exercises, with an optional voice over feature if required.
Our interactive digital workbook builds as you progress through the course, allowing you to capture key points and any notes you've made along the way. At the end of the course you will have a comprehensive, customised revision guide to help you prepare for the end of course assessment.
Our IOSH Managing Safely virtual classroom course consists of a combination of three live online tutorials led by one of our qualified IOSH trainers, supported by our digital learning platform.
The live online tutorial sessions will be delivered over Microsoft teams, where one of our trainers will guide you through the seven course modules. Following this you will undertake our eLearning modules online.
Our IOSH Managing Safely face-to-face classroom course is delivered in-house at a location of your choice.
The IOSH training will take place over three days, where one of our IOSH trainers will guide your learners through the seven modules leading to the end of course assessment, which takes place on the last day.
The IOSH Managing Safely course is broken down into seven modules that cover the following:
Module one – Introducing Managing Safely
Explore the main reasons to have good health and safety in the workplace. Discuss a manager’s responsibility and accountability for safety and health in the workplace.
Module two – Assessing Risks
Understand the basic principles of what a risk assessment is and how to carry out a risk assessment.
Module three – Controlling Risks
Explore ways to assess and control risk, using the hierarchy of risk control.
Module four – Understanding Responsibilities
Outline the legal requirements and key components of a health and safety management system.
Module five – Understanding Hazards
Understand the different categories of hazards that can occur in a workplace and ways to control and manage these hazards.
Module six – Investigating Incidents
Explore different issues regarding accidents and incidents in a workplace and the importance of reporting and investigating these events.
Module seven – Measuring Performance
Understand the importance of being able to monitor and measure your company’s health and safety performance, as well as looking at the different methods of measurements that can be used
By the end of the IOSH Managing Safely course learners will be able to:
- Understand what is meant by the terms hazard and risk.
- Evaluate risk using a structured risk assessment approach.
- Identify and implement appropriate workplace precautions for specific risks or seek advice on workplace precautions.
- Be involved in preparing written risk assessments.
- Understand and have input into their organisation's health and safety policy and management system.
- Cooperate and communicate on health and safety matters.
- Ensure that their own work and that of the employees for whom they are responsible is carried out safely, i.e. without undue risk to themselves and others.
- Report relevant accidents and incidents.
- Identify methods of monitoring how safe their workplaces are.
- Ensures they can assess and control risks and hazards.
- Ensures they understand their own responsibilities for safety and health.
- Enables them to investigate incidents.
- Empowers them to measure their own performance.
- Allows for personal reflections on good practice.
- Approved by IOSH, the world's biggest professional health and safety membership organisation, with formal certificates issued to successful candidates.
- Greater productivity through reduction in lost time from sickness and accidents.
- Improved company-wide safety awareness culture and appreciation for safety measures.
- Enhanced reputation within your supply chain.
- Reduced costs from avoidable insurance claims and solicitors’ fees.
Our IOSH Managing Safely eLearning course has a recommended study time of 22 hours.
Our IOSH Managing Safely virtual classroom course is a three-day online training course, the virtual classroom course consists of 3 x 3-hr online tutor led sessions, over a period that suits our clients. Led by one of our qualified IOSH trainers and supported by eLearning via our digital learning platform.
Our IOSH Managing Safely face-to-face classroom course is a three-day training course, led by one of our highly qualified IOSH trainers.
The IOSH Managing Safely course is assessed in two ways:
- A multiple choice assessment that will take place on the last day of the course.
- A practical risk assessment project that will be completed and submitted after course.
Upon successful completion of the course, learners will be issued with an IOSH Managing Safely Certificate.